4-year full-time; 5-year thick-sandwich
About the course
We live in the age of ‘any device, any time, anywhere’ computing. Technology, communications and consumer electronics are rapidly evolving, and computer systems are central to our everyday interaction, from large scale distributed systems based on the internet to an embedded system in a consumer electronic device such as a mobile phone.
This hands-on course is designed for students who want to understand state-of-the-art developments in hardware and software, and develop the skills and ability to design computer systems in every aspect of commerce and industry.
Brunel’s course works around four themes:
- programming and software engineering;
- computer architecture and applications;
- data communications;
- digital electronic systems.
The range of options available in later years of the programme will allow you to maintain breadth or to specialise, with a focus on computer hardware design, data communication networks or distributed computing.
To view the Brunel engineering graduate showcase video please click here.
The very nature of the technologies that underpin computer systems means that you need not only to understand state-of-the-art developments in hardware and software, but also to have developed the skills to design computer systems for modern commerce and industry.
With demand for experts rapidly growing, this course will equip you with advanced knowledge of computer hardware and architecture, computer software, digital electronics, communication networks, embedded systems and interfacing.
You should be:
- fascinated by all aspects of computers
- excited by the prospect of software development
- intellectually curious and want to examine and develop your potential
- a problem solver with a wish to invent new ways of solving problems using computers
- prepared to push the technology to the limit and make it work for you in delivering a solution.
Our coherent curriculum develops your problem solving, professional development and transferable skills – and we’ve strong links with industry that has led to an excellent record of employability amongst our graduates.
Read Course Highlights.