The main purpose of the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion and Media Make-up is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical skills and knowledge to provide fashion and media make-up to the general public and gain employment within the Beauty Therapy and Media/Make-up industries. The qualification also provides opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in a make-up setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving. Learners will also be able to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities, and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as a Fashion and Media Make-up Artist.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This qualification combines the full range of skills and knowledge for the learner seeking employment or self-employment as a Fashion and Media Make-up Artist at level 3. The course includes the application of camouflage make-up as well as media make-up skills which enable learners to become multi-skilled – a sought-after asset for employment in the industry.
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
This course will provide skills in make-up and related areas such as cosmetic camouflage skills. It will provide the basic skills to work as a make-up artist in a retail department store or become a freelance make-up artist.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
Teaching will be in a practical salon environment where the focus will be on the development of the skills required to ensure satisfactory employment in industry. The main skills the learner will perform are:
• Application of fashion and photographic make-up – to include creating and adapting a design plan, using products, tools and techniques to meet the design plan; using black and white and colour and working to a budget
• Application of media make-up – to include characters, ageing and casualty effects
• Airbrush make-up – to include applying airbrush make-up to the face and developing airbrush make-up design plans using research materials and resources
• Face and body art – to include designing and applying face and body art using a variety of techniques, tools and equipment to suit the desired look
• Application of all make-up products – to include recognition of face shapes and corrective make-up
• Instruction of all make-up products – to include recognition of face shapes and corrective make-up
• Application of camouflage make-up – to include camouflage make-up products, ingredients and techniques to suit the desired effects
• Design and application of Mendhi skin decoration – to include skin tests, products, tools and techniques to meet design objectives
The learner will also develop knowledge about related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential to work and be successful in the fashion and media make-up or beauty industry.
This is a blended learning course including theory modules which learners undertake at home online and completion of theory assignments set by the tutor. The main emphasis whilst at college will be on the development of the necessary practical skills.
- Fashion and Photographic Make-up
- Media Make-up
- Apply and Maintain Nail Enhancements
- Apply Airbrush Make-up to the Face
- Design and Apply Face and Body Art
- Apply Make-up
- Instruction on Make-up Application
- Camouflage Make-up
- Design and Apply Mendhi Skin Decoration
- Monitor and Maintain Health and Safety Practice in the Salon
- Client Care and Communication in Beauty Related Industries
On completing the course students will be able to perform to industry expectations:
• Photographic make-up – black and white and colour
• Fashion shows make-up looks: period, fantasy, high fashion, catwalk, bridal, commercial
• Face and body art
• Application of flawless make-up
• Use of make-up techniques to create characters: witches, tramps, monsters, casualty effects, prosthetic pieces: ear tips, noses, chins
• Use of cosmetic camouflage make-up to cover up hyper and hypo pigmentation, birth marks, tattoos, scar tissue and bruising
It is recommended that learners should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grade A* - C or a Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy prior to commencing the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion and Media Make-up.
Mature students (over 21) are accepted, subject to satisfactory literacy and numeracy tests, work experience (if applicable) and a strong personal statement.
Once Learners have achieved the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion and Media Make-up they may progress on to other ITEC or equivalent qualifications at level 3 and 4, for example:
• Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology
• Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Beauty Therapy
• Level 3 Certificate in Facial Electrical Treatments
• Level 3 Certificate in Body Treatments
• Level 4 Diploma in Spa and Salon Management
Opportunities for Employment
There are opportunities for a Fashion and Media Make-up Artist to find employment in a variety of areas:
• Beauty Salons
• Cruise Liners
• Own Business
The qualification was developed collaboratively with the Hair and Beauty Industry Authority (HABIA) and enables learners to apply for entry to the HABIA Register of Beauty Professionals once they have gained their qualification It is also recognised for membership by The British Association of Beauty Therapists and Cosmetologists (BABTAC) and The Guild of Beauty Therapists
- Level 3 Diploma in Fashion and Media Make-up
- 5 Holborn Circus EC1N 2HB
- Full-time 12 weeks, 3 days per week
- October, November 2016, February, March, April, May 2017
- £3,345.00 (SFA advance learner loans available for 19+ students)
- Champneys uniform will be provided. In order to fulfil the requirements of the course a basic makeup brush kit costing £50 Travel assistance: £5 contribution per day to your Oyster Card